First up is an ARC of TWILIGHT ROBBERY by Frances Hardinge. This is the much-anticipated sequel to Frances Hardinge's award-winning novel FLY BY NIGHT and follows the continuing adventures of Mosca Mye, her homicidal goose Saracan and wandering writer Eponymous Clent who by dint of adventure and happenstance find themselves in the strange and dangerous town of Toll trying to stop the kidnap of the town's mayor.
As dusk approaches the good people of Toll-by-day slam shut their doors and tremble ... It’s time to discover deadly Toll-by-night – a very different place! And orphan Mosca Mye is trapped there, with only a murderous goose and a war-crazed dandy to help her.
TWILIGHT ROBBERY is released in the UK on 4th March 2011 and I am very pleased to say that Frances Hardinge very kindly signed the copy to be given away. I'll be honest with you all, I've been debating whether to keep it for myself but my conscience kept pricking me, so it's in the giveaway.
Second up is an ARC of MINISTRY OF PANDEMONIUM by Chris Westwood, which follows Ben Harvester, a boy whose life changes forever when he meets Mr October and is introduced to the dangerous work of the Ministry of Pandemonium and learns more about his own mysterious gifts ...
Another night shift, another lost soul – pray the good guys find it first.
Ben Harvester sees what no one else can ...
A cobbled alleyway – a place where it’s always night – hidden behind a crack in the wall.
Mr October, a man of many faces and secrets, knows Ben has a unique gift. He sets out to recruit Ben to a top-secret, highly classified Ministry department – to help in an eternal war against an unspeakable enemy.
And so Ben begins to understand just how great and deadly his gift may be, and why it puts him and everyone he loves in grave danger ...</i>
MINISTRY OF PANEDEMONIUM will be released in the UK in March 2011 and there is already a lot of buzz gathering about this book for good reason.
All you have to do to be entered into the give-away draw is leave a comment here telling me your favourite sequel of all time - it can be a book or a film or a TV programme.
NOTE - ALTHOUGH ANONYMOUS COMMENTS ARE CURRENTLY SCREENED, PROVIDED YOU'RE NOT TRYING TO SELL ME ELECTRIC CIGARETTES, DODGY PORN OR WHATEVER - IT WILL GO IN THE DRAW.
1. Leave a comment on this LJ telling me your favourite sequel of all time.
2. The winner will be chosen at random using a random generator.
3. You don't have to have an LJ account or be a friend of this LJ to enter this contest but if you don't have an LJ account then please tell me how I can contact you if you win (e.g. leave an email address in your comment).
4. You can comment as many times as you want (e.g. to change your mind about your favourite book), but each individual only gets one contest entry.
5. Comments must be posted before 23:59 (GMT) on Sunday 6th February 2011.
6. The winner will be notified by 23:59 on Sunday 13th February by LJ message or email and must respond with their mailing address by Sunday 20th February), or else another winner will be drawn.
7. The giveaway is open to anyone regardless of age or location BUT please note that the prize will be sent by post and I have no responsibility or liability for the vagaries of local mail systems.
8. Prizes are non-transferable and there is no cash alternative.
9. The Judge's (i.e. my) decision is final.