First up is something rather special - an ARC of YOU AGAINST ME by Jenny Downham. Jenny Downham's debut novel BEFORE I DIE told the story of a teenage girl with terminal cancer and was both an award winning and bestselling book. YOU AGAINST ME is her much anticipated follow-up, which tells the story of Mikey, whose sister has accused Ellie's brother of raping her after a party. As Mikey and Ellie struggle to stay loyal to their siblings, they find themselves falling in love and soon each faces a choice as to where their true loyalties lie ...
If someone hurts your sister and you’re any kind of man, you seek revenge, right?
When Mikey’s sister claims a boy assaulted her, his world begins to fall apart.
If your brother’s accused of a terrible crime but says he didn’t do it, you defend him, don’t you?
When Ellie’s brother is charged with the offence, her world begins to unravel.
When Mikey and Ellie meet, two worlds collide.
This is a brave and unflinching novel from the bestselling author of BEFORE I DIE. It’s a book about loyalty and the choices that come with it. But above all it’s a book about love.
YOU AGAINST ME will be released in the UK in December.
Secondly, I have an ARC of ANGEL by L. A. Weatherly, which is a paranormal romance that also pitches its protagonists at odds with each other. In a world where people claim that angels exist and interact with them, Willow is a girl living in small town America who has the gift of being able to tell people's futures. Then she meets Alex, an angel killer who reveals that angels are real and are not as they seem ...
Eoin Colfer reinvented the fairy.
Stephenie Meyer reinvented the vampire.
L. A. Weatherly reinvents the angel.
Willow knows she’s different from other girls. And not just because she loves tinkering around with cars. Willow has a gift. She can look into people’s futures, know their dreams, their hopes and their regrets, just by touching them. She has no idea where she gets this power from ...
But Alex does. Gorgeous, mysterious Alex knows Willow’s secret and is on a mission to stop her. The dark forces within Willow makes her dangerous – and irresistible. In spite of himself, Alex finds he is falling in love with his sworn enemy.
Utterly intoxicating and deeply compelling, ANGEL is an epic tale of love, destiny and sacrifice.
ANGEL was released in the UK on 1st October.
To win these ARCs all you have to do is leave a comment on this LJ telling me your favourite love story of all time - it can be an out and out romance, a comedy romance, a dramatic romance, a film, a story or a book.
To get the ball rolling, I've got a soft spot for THE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER which is a romantic comedy movie from the 1940s starring James Stewart but I also keep coming back to THE PRINCESS BRIDE - both the book and the movie because they're equally perfect.
1. Leave a comment on this LJ telling me your favourite love story of all time.
2. The winner will be chosen at random using a random generator.
3. You don't have to have an LJ account or be a friend of this LJ to enter this contest but if you don't have an LJ account then please tell me how I can contact you if you win (e.g. leave an email address in your comment).
4. You can comment as many times as you want (e.g. to change your mind about your favourite book), but each individual only gets one contest entry.
5. Comments must be posted before 23:59 (British Summer Time) on Wednesday 17th November 2010.
6. The winner will be notified by 23:59 on Thursday 18th November by LJ message or email and must respond with their mailing address by Monday 22nd November), or else another winner will be drawn.
7. The giveaway is open to anyone regardless of age or location BUT please note that the prize will be sent by post and I have no responsibility or liability for the vagaries of local mail systems.
8. Prizes are non-transferable and there is no cash alternative.
9. The Judge's (i.e. my) decision is final.